Eight Acres (2)

Eight Acres (2)

Part of Donn's Farm, later Broadmead Farm, in Yeovil Marsh


Eight Acres (2) (Parcel 1194) was a part of Donn's Farm, later called Broadmead Farm, in Yeovil Marsh.

The 1846 Tithe Apportionment recorded that Eight Acres (2) was owned by Robert Donn of Stoke sub Hamdon and the tenant was Thomas Dauncey. It was recorded as pasture for grazing livestock and measured 7a 2r 0p. The disparity between size and name is probably due to the use of 'Statute' measurements in the Apportionment which were actually smaller than the earlier local 'Customary' measurements.

Eight Acres (2) (Parcel 1194) was bounded on the east by Broadmead Lane (the continuation of Marsh Lane), on the south by Four Acre Mead (2) (Parcel 1197), to the west by Enmore (or Henmoor) (Parcels 1195 and 1196). To the north it was bounded by Home Close (Parcel 1191) and the farmhouse of Donn's Farm (Parcel 1193).

At the time of the 1919 sale of the six Marsh farms, Donn's Farm had been renamed Broadmead Farm. At this time Eight Acres (2) was still used as pasture for grazing livestock and was recorded as 7a 0r 33p.

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.