Hollow Close

Hollow Close

A field atop Newton Hill


Hollow Close (Parcel 819) was a large field on the top of Newton Hill (although today we tend to call it Summerhouse Hill).

At the time of the 1846 Tithe Apportionment, Hollow Close was owned by George Harbin and let to William Pope as part of Newton Farm. It was recorded as pasture for grazing livestock and measured 9a 0r 36p.

Hollow Close (Parcel 819) was bordered on the north by Higher Newton Hill (Parcel 815), on the east by Five Acres (Parcel 818), to the south by Fourteen Acres (Parcel 820) and to the west by Under Newton Hill (Parcel 811).

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.



This map, based on the descriptions in the 1589 Terrier and the 1846 Tithe Map of Yeovil shows the approximate boundaries of the Manors of Kingston and Hendford as well as the manorial three-field system used in Kingston.


The 1842 Tithe Map showing the Newton Surmaville Estate shaded mid-green and the parcels of Newton Farm shaded light green. Hollow Close (Parcel 819) is at left of centre.