Kitt's Hill

Kitt's Hill

Part of West Farm, in Yeovil Marsh


Kitt's Hill (Parcels 1383 and 1384) were two pastures of West Farm in Yeovil Marsh, separated by the small Yeovil Marsh stream that eventually joins the River Yeo below Pill Bridge, Ilchester.

The 1846 Tithe Apportionment noted that both parcels were owned by Reverend John Jenkins Mathews and let to James Pope. Mathews owned far more parcels of land than just West Farm, and Pope farmed them all. Kitt's Hill (Parcel 1383) was recorded as pasture for grazing livestock measuring 1a 2r 30p and Kitt's Hill (Parcel 1384), also pasture, measured 4a 0r 20p.

Kitt's Hill (Parcel 1383) was bounded on the west by the stream and on the north and east by Lynch Mead (Parcel 1381). Kitt's Hill (Parcel 1384) was bounded on the north and east by the stream and to the west by Andrew's Hill (Parcel 1361).

By the time of the 1919 sale of the six Marsh farms, Kitt's Hill were still part of West Farm. The measurements given at this time were 1a 3r 37p and 4a 0r 14p..

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.