Perry's Mead

Perry's Mead

Accommodation land in Yeovil Marsh


Perry's Mead (Parcel 1185) was accommodation land in Yeovil Marsh. Accommodation land is a term that originated in the early nineteenth-century and was applied to land, often adjoining a town or village, that was let for cultivation or pasture. Accommodation land generally did not form part of a farm.

The 1846 Tithe Apportionment (at least the copy held in the Heritage Centre at Taunton), does not record the details of Perry's Mead, but its name suggests it was a meadow used for growing hay. However, by the time of the 1919 sale of the six Marsh Farms, it had been combined with Eight Acres (1) (Parcel 1186) to form a single large field of 10a 0r 8p used as accommodation pasture land for grazing livestock.

Perry's Mead (Parcel 1185) was bounded on the south by the small Yeovil Marsh stream that eventually joins the River Yeo below Pill Bridge, Ilchester. To the west it was bounded by Water Mead (1) (Parcel 1184), to the north by Old Laines (Parcel 1183) and to the east by Eight Acres (1) (Parcel 1186).

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.