Three Acre Mead

Three Acre Mead

Part of West Farm, in Yeovil Marsh


Three Acre Mead (Parcel 1366) was a field of West Farm in Yeovil Marsh.

The 1846 Tithe Apportionment noted that it was owned by Reverend John Jenkins Mathews and let to James Pope. Mathews owned far more parcels of land than just West Farm, and Pope farmed them all. Three Acre Mead was, as its name suggests, used as meadow for growing hay and measured 2a 2r 0p.

Three Acre Mead (Parcel 1366) was bounded on the south by West Farm farmhouse and garden (Parcel 1364), on the west by Chapel Lane, on the north by a cottage and garden facing Yeovil Marsh's main street and to the east by Plot (Parcel 1369) and Higher Paddock (Parcel 1365).

By the time of the 1919 sale of the six Marsh farms, Three Acre Mead was still part of West Farm, but it had been combined with Higher Paddock (Parcel 1365) to form a single larger field measuring 4a 1r 4p that was used as pasture.

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.