Hartwell's Farm

Hartwell's Farm

An early farm in Yeovil Marsh


Hartwell's Farm (also Hartwill) was located in Yeovil Marsh and flourished at least as early as the sixteenth-century.

The 1569 'Certificate of Musters' for the 'Tithing of Marshe' recorded one Ableman (that is, an able-bodied man fit for military service) William Hartwill, who was recorded as a Billman in the local militia. The bill, also billhook, was a polearm weapon used by infantry. It had a hooked blade on the end of a long staff. A Billman, therefore, was an infantryman who carried a bill as his main weapon.

The 1589 Terrier recorded Hartwell's Farm as; "Of all his Farm by Estimation 60 Acres, Viz - of Meadow 12 Acres of arable 20 acres of Pasture 28 Acres, Except of two closes of Meadow by Estimation 10 Acres lying on the West part of his House and of 3 Acres or thereabouts lying on the West part of his close of Pasture which lieth above Madcraft and one and half an Acre in the lower end of the same Close... There are lying within the said circuit of Marsh of old pasture ground two closes called Foxleaze and Flippenpits, alias Sixmenleaze by estimation 80 acres."

The 1589 Terrier described Foxyleaze "in Mr Williams' Estate twenty-four acres of pasture". It was part of Hartwell's Farm and would later (by 1846) be split into Foxey (Parcel 1209), Lower Foxey (Parcel 1210) and Higher Foxey (Parcel 1211). These are the only known recorded fields forming a part of Hartwell's Farm, although there were certainly others. The farm was renamed Lambert's Farm by the end of the sixteenth century.

According to title deeds held in the Taunton Heritage Centre, several tenements in Yeovil Marsh, including Hartwell's Farm and Marsh Farm, passed to the Bellamy family in 1741.

Nothing further is known of Harwell's Farm.

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.