Lower Carent's Farm, Yeovil Marsh


Waclouse (Parcel 1238) was a field of Lower Carent's Farm in Yeovil Marsh. The first part of the field name 'Wac' is possibly derived from a personal name of a former owner or tenant, while the 'louse' part of the name derives from the Old English hlōse meaning land with a pig-sty.

At the time of the 1846 Tithe Apportionment, Waclouse was owned by Charles John Helyar. The farm (as well as several other farms) was let to William Symes of Yeovil Marsh. Waclouse was listed as arable for growing crops and measured 4a 2r 6p.

Waclouse (Parcel 1238) was bounded on the west by Roy (Parcel 1237) and to the east by House, Garden and Orchard (Parcel 1228).

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.



At the time of the 1919 sale of the six Marsh farms, Lower Carent's Farm is shown in pink and Lambert's Farm is shown in green.