Furzey Close

Furzey Close

A field within the great manorial East Field


Furzey Close (Parcel 933) was originally part of the great Medieval East Field of Kingston Manor. 'Furze' is simply another name for gorse and indicates the character of this former field.

The 1846 Tithe Apportionment noted that Furzey Close was in the ownership of Ann Collins and let to James Marten. The Tithe Apportionment shows Furzey Close was used as pasture for grazing livestock and measured 4a 3r 31p.

Furzey Close (Parcel 933) was bounded on the west by Spring Close (Parcel 947), on the north by Briseham Hill (Parcel 946), on the west by Daniell's Close (Parcel 934) and Lower Loydes (Parcel 931) and to the south by Buckler's Mead (Parcel 932).

By the time of the 1946 aerial photograph, seen below, Furzey Close was a small open field. The former Furzey Close is now occupied by the houses and gardens of the central section of St Mary's Crescent.

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.



This map, based on the descriptions in the 1589 Terrier and the 1846 Tithe Map of Yeovil shows the approximate boundaries of the Manors of Kingston and Hendford as well as the manorial three-field system used in Kingston.


A map of the great Medieval East Field of Kingston Manor showing conjectured locations of several fields based on descriptions in the 1589 Terrier.


Drawn from the 1846 Tithe Map with field names added from the 1846 Tithe Apportionment, with Furzey Close (Parcel 933) in the lower right quadrant.


The 1946 aerial survey photograph with parcel numbers of 1846 plotted on.


An aerial view (courtesy of Mr Google) of the area today.


The 1843 Tithe Map overlaid onto a modern map of the area.