A field within the great manorial East Field


Kiln (Parcel 913), was originally a field in the great Medieval East Field.

Although Kiln appears on the 1842 Tithe Map, unfortunately the 1846 Tithe Apportionment omitted it, so its ownership, usage and size are unknown from that source. However another source gives its area as 3a 3r 15p.

A property deed relating to the Manor of Kingston dated 1850 records the field as 'Kiline'.

Kiln was bounded on the north by On Down (Parcels 912 and 912a), on the west by Peckford's Close (Parcel 921), on the south by Ten Acres (Parcel 914) and to the east it was bounded by Eight Acres (Parcel 910).

By the time of the 1946 aerial photograph seen below, Kiln was still an open field.

Today, the former Kiln is occupied by the central section of the Oxford Road Trading Estate.

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.



This map, based on the descriptions in the 1589 Terrier and the 1846 Tithe Map of Yeovil shows the approximate boundaries of the Manors of Kingston and Hendford as well as the manorial three-field system used in Kingston.


A map of the great Medieval East Field of Kingston Manor showing conjectured locations of several fields based on descriptions in the 1589 Terrier.


Drawn from the 1846 Tithe Map with field names added from the 1846 Tithe Apportionment, with Kiln (Parcel 913) at the centre left.


The 1946 aerial survey photograph with parcel numbers of 1846 plotted on. The green line is the county boundary running along the River Yeo.


The 1843 Tithe Map overlaid onto a modern map of the area. The course of the Yeo just above the north point appears to have changed course somewhat.