the history of yeovil's pubs





lyon inn

The Borough


The Lyon Inn (marked as 'I' on the 1886 map below) had a bit of a potted history name-wise. It started as the Lyon Inn with its earliest record dated 1615, but by 1780 was known as the Eagle and shortly thereafter as the Falcon. It is likely that it was also known as the Spread Eagle Inn referred to in the 1852 news article in the Gallery below.

At least its location is known - it was on the south side of the Borough (technically High Street) on the eastern corner of Tabernacle Lane as shown on the map.

In the early 17th century Tabernacle Lane was known as Narrow Lane and a map of 1813 shows that all the buildings along the eastern side of the northern section of the lane, including the Lyon Inn, belonged to the Corporation of the Borough of Yeovil (the predecessor of the Town Council).

In the Rate Book of 1669 it is shown that the highest rents - 16s. per annum - were obtained from three inns in the Borough namely The King's Head, The Lyon and the Bell.

The Lyon Inn appears to have closed in 1867 when William Pride was refused an ale-house license at the Borough Petty Sessions.







The reference to the Spread Eagle Inn in the 13 November 1852 edition of the Wells Journal.


owners / tenants / licensees


as Lyon Inn
1615 – George Hayne
1669 – Matthew Wills, widd. late George Hayne, 16s.0d. for 'The Lyon'
            (Portreeve's Account Book - Rents of Assize).
1683 – Widow White
1715 – Jonathan Wills
1733 – James Cook 'The Lyon'
1745 – James Cook 'The Lyon'
1771 – Mrs Sealy
1775 – Richard Peddle (late Sealy's)

as Eagle Inn (also listed as the Falcon)
1780 – William Edwards (late Piddle) 'over against the Market House'
1782 – Thos. Spiller - the Falcon
1784 – Bailey - the Falcon
1813-46 – ditto (Penny on west)
1847 – Proposed Sale, £1,200 – no bids. Hannam (ironmonger) occupier, 17 May 1847
1867 – William Pride "of the Eagle Tavern" - ale-house license refused (Petty Sessions)