Park WAY

Footpath joining Kingston and Park Road


Originally known as Thomas' Yard, Park Way was essentially a footpath entered from Kingston via a porte-cochere two doors from the White Lion public house. There was a dog-leg lit by a lamp post when it met the rear gardens of villas in Park Road whence it continued, via a smaller porte-cochere, as a narrow alleyway to Park Road close to the Armoury.
It was named as "late Thomas' Yard" in the 1861, 1871 and 1881 census and as “Thomas’s Yard (now known as Park Way)” in the 1891 census. Park Way disappeared with the widening of Kingston and the construction of Queensway in 1976.



This map, based on the 1886 Ordnance Survey, shows Park Way at top centre, running south from Kingsway via a porte-cochere, then turning 90° at the lamp post (just visible as 'LP'), through another porte-cochere before turning 90° again, through a third porte-cochere then running as a narrow footpath between buildings and entering Park Road at bottom centre (by the 'A' in 'ROAD').




At centre is the Kingston entrance to Park Way (it even has a street nameplate) - through the porte-cochere next to the Black Bird Café. Photographed in the mid-1960s.