Lower Eight Acres

Lower Eight Acres

Accommodation land in Yeovil Marsh


Lower Eight Acres (Parcel 1207) was accommodation land in Yeovil Marsh. Accommodation land is a term that originated in the early nineteenth-century and was applied to land, often adjoining a town or village, that was let for cultivation or pasture. Accommodation land generally did not form part of a farm.

At the time of the 1846 Tithe Apportionment, Lower Eight Acres was owned and occupied by Yeovil glove manufacturer Thomas Fooks. Lower Eight Acres was recorded as pasture for grazing livestock and measured 7a 0r 20p.

Lower Eight Acres (Parcel 1207) was bounded on the north by Flood Hatch (Parcel 1208), on the east by a small stream, to the south by Moon's Close (Parcel 1216) and to the west by Cowleaze (Parcel 1212).

By the time of the 1919 sale of the six Marsh farms, Lower Eight Acres had been combined with Flood Hatch (Parcel 1208), Four Acres (1) (Parcel 1187) and Water Mead (2) (Parcel 1188) to form one large field of accommodation land.

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.