Lower Plaines

Lower Plaines

A field of Longcroft Farm


Lower Plaines (Parcel 1117) was a long narrow field of Longcroft Farm, between Combe Street Lane and Yeovil Marsh.

In 1816 Longcroft Farm, including Lower Plaines, was let to Henry Guppy, known as Harry. However, in April 1816, Harry was being held as a 'Prisoner for Debt' in the King's Bench Prison, Surrey, awaiting his case to be heard at the Guildhall, Westminster during the following month.

The 1846 Tithe Apportionment recorded that Lower Plaines was owned by Lord of Kingston Manor, William Jones Prowse, who had inherited huge land holdings in the area. The farm, at this time, was let to James Tucker. Lower Plaines was described as pasture for grazing livestock and measured 2a 1r 2p.

During the 1860s, a Mr Sawtell was the tenant farmer. During the 1870s Robert Chard farmed Longcroft Farm, and during this period the farm was afflicted with a foot & mouth disease outbreak. In June 1879, Chard was declared a bankrupt. The next tenant farmer was William Hardy. By January 1908 Hardy had died and was followed, certainly between 1910 and 1921, by Herbert James Pearce. During the early 1920s Longcroft Farm, including Lower Plaines, went through a series of auction sales and sales by private treaty.

Lower Plaines (Parcel 1117) was bounded on the west by Washing Pool Ground (Parcel 1116) and Higher Mead (Parcel 1122), to the north by Hanging Orchard (Parcel 1121), to the east by Yonder Great Long Croft (Parcel 1120) and Higher Great Long Croft (Parcel 1118) and to the south by Long Croft Coppice (Parcel 1110).


For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.



Each farm has (or will have) its own page - click here.
Each Parcel of land has (or will have) its own page - click here.