Lambert's Farm, Yeovil Marsh


Summerleaze (Parcel 1363) was a large 15-acre field of Lambert's Farm (later called Poplars Farm) in Yeovil Marsh. The 'leaze' part of the name derives from the Old English leah meaning a large, open pasture. The name therefore meant summer pasture land.

At the time of the 1846 Tithe Apportionment, Summerleaze was owned by John James Lambert and the occupier was William Dibble. Summerleaze was recorded as pasture for grazing livestock and measured 15a 0r 0p.

Summerleaze (Parcel 1230) was bounded on the north by Lower Mead (Parcel 1231), to the east by Higher Foxey (Parcel 1211) and Lower Haine's (Parcel 1213), to the south by Old Orchard (Parcel 1224) and to the west by Home Field (Parcel 1229) and Home Mead (Parcel 1227).

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.



At the time of the 1919 sale of the six Marsh farms, Lower Carent's Farm is shown in pink and Lambert's Farm is shown in green.