Home Mead

Home Mead

Lower Carent's Farm, Yeovil Marsh


Home Mead (Parcel 1227) was a small field of Lower Carent's Farm in Yeovil Marsh. A mead simply meant a meadow, derived from the Middle English mede. Home Mead therefore meant the meadow by the home, the home in this case being the farmhouse.

At the time of the 1846 Tithe Apportionment, Home Mead was owned by Charles John Helyar. The farm (as well as several other farms) was let to William Symes of Yeovil Marsh. Home Mead was listed as meadow for growing hay and measured 5a 2r 25p.

Home Mead (Parcel 1227) was bounded on the west by Lower Carent's farmhouse, garden and orchard (Parcel 1228), to the north by Home Field (Parcel 1229), to the east by Summerleaze (Parcel 1230) and Old Orchard (Parcel 1225) and on the south by Great Fore Ground (Parcel 1225) and Little Fore Ground (Parcel 1226).

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.



At the time of the 1919 sale of the six Marsh farms, Lower Carent's Farm is shown in pink and Lambert's Farm is shown in green.