Barton & Orchard

Barton & Orchard

Part of West Farm, in Yeovil Marsh


Barton and Orchard (Parcel 1364) was a field of West Farm in Yeovil Marsh.

The 1846 Tithe Apportionment recorded that Barton and Orchard was owned by the Reverend John Jenkins Mathews and let to James Pope. Reverend Mathews owned far more parcels of land than just West Farm, and Pope farmed them all. Barton and Orchard was used as an orchard and measured 2a 2r 0p.

Barton and Orchard (Parcel 1364) was bounded on the west by Chapel Lane and to the north it was bounded by West Farm's farmhouse and garden and on the east and south it was bounded by Summerleaze (Parcel 1363).

By the time of the 1919 sale of the six Marsh farms, Barton and Orchard was simply named Orchard, but its size had been reduced to 1a 1r 19p.

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.