Part of West Farm, in Yeovil Marsh


Summerleaze (Parcel 1363) was a large 17-acre field of West Farm in Yeovil Marsh. The 'leaze' part of the name derives from the Old English leah meaning a large, open pasture. The name therefore meant summer pasture land, however although the 1846 Tithe Apportionment called it Summerleaze, the 1842 Tithe Map had named it 'Home Ground'.

The 1846 Tithe Apportionment recorded that Summerleaze was owned by Reverend John Jenkins Mathews and let to James Pope. Mathews owned far more parcels of land than just West Farm, and Pope farmed them all. Summerleaze was used as pasture for grazing livestock and measured 17a 0r 0p.

Summerleaze (Parcel 1363) was bounded on the east by Farthing's Orchard (Parcel 1372) and also on the east and south by the small Yeovil Marsh stream that eventually joins the River Yeo below Pill Bridge, Ilchester. To the west it was bounded by Chapel Lane and to the north it was bounded by Barton and Orchard (Parcel 1364), Long Orchard (Parcel 1370) and Tything Plot (Parcel 1371).

By the time of the 1919 sale of the six Marsh farms, Summerleaze was still part of West Farm, but its size had been reduced to 10a 1r 18p.

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.