Clifton Mead

Clifton Mead

A field on the banks of the River Yeo


Clifton Mead (Parcel 829), was a field on the banks of the River Yeo.

At the time of the 1846 Tithe Apportionment, Clifton Mead was owned by George Harbin and let to William Pope as part of Newton Farm. It was recorded as meadow for growing hay and measured 4a 1r 4p.

Clifton Mead (Parcel 829) was bordered on the west and north by Hanging Sleight (Parcel 828), on the east by the River Yeo and to the south by Barwick parish.

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.



This map, based on the descriptions in the 1589 Terrier and the 1846 Tithe Map of Yeovil shows the approximate boundaries of the Manors of Kingston and Hendford as well as the manorial three-field system used in Kingston.


TThe 1842 Tithe Map showing the Newton Surmaville Estate shaded mid-green and the parcels of Newton Farm shaded light green. Clifton Mead (Parcel 829) is at bottom right.