Hanging Sleight

Hanging Sleight

A field on the gentle lower southern slope of Newton Hill


Hanging Sleight (Parcel 828), was a large field on the lower southern slope of Newton Hill (although today we tend to call it Summerhouse Hill), running down towards the River Yeo. The name 'Hanging' derives from the Old English hangende meaning land on a steep slope, while 'Sleight' derives from the Old English slœget meaning a sheep pasture.

At the time of the 1846 Tithe Apportionment, Hanging Sleight was owned by George Harbin and let to William Pope as part of Newton Farm. It was recorded as arable for growing crops and measured 9a 3r 23p.

Hanging Sleight (Parcel 828) was bordered to the north by Grove (Parcel 827), to the west by Barwick parish, to the south by Clifton Mead (Parcel 829) and to the east by Horse Leaze (Parcel 830) with a small access to the River Yeo.

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.



This map, based on the descriptions in the 1589 Terrier and the 1846 Tithe Map of Yeovil shows the approximate boundaries of the Manors of Kingston and Hendford as well as the manorial three-field system used in Kingston.


TThe 1842 Tithe Map showing the Newton Surmaville Estate shaded mid-green and the parcels of Newton Farm shaded light green. Hanging Sleight (Parcel 828) is at bottom right.