Farthing's Orchard

Farthing's Orchard

Part of West Farm, in Yeovil Marsh


Farthing's Orchard (Parcel 1371) was a small orchard - later of West Farm in Yeovil Marsh.

The 1846 Tithe Apportionment noted that Farthing's Orchard was owned by George Bullock and let to William Symes - Bullock and Symes were also owner and tenant of Carent's Farm and Lower Carent's Farm. Farthing's Orchard was recorded as an orchard measuring 0a 3r 10p.

Farthing's Orchard (Parcel 1371) was bounded on the east by the small Yeovil Marsh stream that eventually joins the River Yeo below Pill Bridge, Ilchester, and to the west it was bounded by Summerleaze (Parcel 1363).

By the time of the 1919 sale of the six Marsh farms, Farthing's Orchard had become part of West Farm, but it had been combined with Long Orchard (Parcel 1370) and Tithing Plot (Parcel 1371) to form a single larger field measuring 4a 3r 23p that was used as pasture for grazing livestock.

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.