Five Acres

Five Acres

A small field atop Newton Hill


Five Acres (Parcel 818) was a small field on the top of Newton Hill (although today we tend to call it Summerhouse Hill).

At the time of the 1846 Tithe Apportionment, Five Acres was owned by George Harbin and let to William Pope as part of Newton Farm. It was recorded as arable for growing crops and measured 4a 3r 0p. The difference between the recorded acreage and the field name is due to the use of 'Statute' measurements in the Apportionment which were a different size to local 'Customary' measurements.

Five Acres (Parcel 818) was bordered on the north by Higher Newton Hill (Parcel 815) and Cottage & Garden (Parcel 816).on the east by Newton Copse (Parcel 817), to the south by Six Acres (Parcel 821) and to the west by Fourteen Acres (Parcel 820) and Hollow Close (Parcel 819)..

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.



This map, based on the descriptions in the 1589 Terrier and the 1846 Tithe Map of Yeovil shows the approximate boundaries of the Manors of Kingston and Hendford as well as the manorial three-field system used in Kingston.


The 1842 Tithe Map showing the Newton Surmaville Estate shaded mid-green and the parcels of Newton Farm shaded light green. Five Acres (Parcel 818) is at left of centre.