FourteEn Acres

Fourteen Acres

A large field atop Newton Hill


Fourteen Acres (Parcel 820) was a large field on the top of Newton Hill (although today we tend to call it Summerhouse Hill).

At the time of the 1846 Tithe Apportionment, Fourteen Acres was owned by George Harbin and let to William Pope as part of Newton Farm. It was recorded as arable for growing crops and measured 11a 0r 0p. The difference between the recorded acreage and the field name is most likely due to the use of 'Statute' measurements in the Apportionment which were a different size to local 'Customary' measurements.

Fourteen Acres (Parcel 820) was bordered on the north by Hollow Close (Parcel 819), to the west by Penny's Hill (Parcel 809), to the south by Barwick parish and to the east by Five Acres (Parcel 818) and Six Acres (Parcel 821).

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.



This map, based on the descriptions in the 1589 Terrier and the 1846 Tithe Map of Yeovil shows the approximate boundaries of the Manors of Kingston and Hendford as well as the manorial three-field system used in Kingston.


The 1842 Tithe Map showing the Newton Surmaville Estate shaded mid-green and the parcels of Newton Farm shaded light green. Fourteen Acres (Parcel 820) is at the centre left.