Four Acre Mead (2)

Four Acre Mead (2)

Part of Carent's Farm, in Yeovil Marsh


Four Acre Mead (2) (Parcel 1197) was a field that was part of Carent's Farm in Yeovil Marsh.

The 1846 Tithe Apportionment recorded that Four Acre Mead was owned by George Bullock and let to William Symes. It was used as meadow for growing hay and measured 3a 1r 29p. The disparity between size and name is probably due to the use of 'Statute' measurements in the Apportionment which were actually smaller than the earlier local 'Customary' measurements.

Four Acre Mead (2) was bounded on the east by Broadmead Lane (the continuation of Marsh Lane), to the south by Yeovil Marsh's main village street, to the west by Carent's Farm farmhouse and garden (Parcel 1196) and Clover Plot (Parcel 1199) and to the north by Eight Acres (2) (Parcel 1194).

By the time of the 1919 sale of the six Marsh farms, Broad Marsh was no longer part of Carent's Farm and was sold of as accommodation pasture land measuring 10a 3r 31p. The sale brochure noted "A very valuable corner enclosure of accommodation pasture land... It has a frontage of about 300 feet to the main village street and a return frontage to Broadmead Lane of about 500 feet."

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.