German's Grove

German's Grove

A field within the Manor of Hendford


German's Grove was originally one large field within the Manor of Hendford and has been, for generations, part of Aldon Farm. The name Aldon was known before Aldon house was built since Watt's map of 1806 shows a footpath "To Aldon Farm, etc."

The fore-name German (today's Jermain) was fairly popular in Yeovil during the seventeenth century.

By the time of the 1846 Tithe Apportionment, German's Grove had been divided into two adjoining fields (Parcels 792 and 793). They were both owned by John Batten Snr and let to John Brook. Both parcels were recorded as arable for growing crops. Parcel 792 measured 3a 2r 15p, and Parcel 793 measured 1a 3r 3p. For other tenant farmers, see Aldon Farm.

German's Grove (Parcels 792 and 793) was bordered on the west by Plantation (Parcel 794), on the north by Braggchurch (Parcel 779), to the east by Gage Hill (Parcel 791) and to the south by the access drive to Aldon Farm.

Today, the former German's Grove forms part of the parkland surrounding Aldon House.

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.



This map, based on the descriptions in the 1589 Terrier and the 1846 Tithe Map of Yeovil shows the approximate boundaries of the Manors of Kingston and Hendford as well as the manorial three-field system used in Kingston.


The 1842 Tithe Map showing the Aldon area and the parcels of Aldon Farm shaded light green. German's Grove (Parcels 782 and 783) are in the lower left quadrant.