Gage Hill

Gage Hill

A large field within the Manor of Hendford


Gage Hill was originally a large, 15-acre field within the Manor of Hendford and has been, for generations, part of Aldon Farm. The name Aldon was known before Aldon house was built since Watt's map of 1806 shows a footpath "To Aldon Farm, etc."

By the time of the 1846 Tithe Apportionment, Gage Hill had been divided into three parcels (Parcels 789, 790 and 791). All three parcels were owned by John Batten Snr and let to John Brook. Parcel 789 was recorded as pasture for grazing livestock and measured 4a 3r 10p. Both parcels 790 and 791 were recorded as arable for growing crops; Parcel 790 measured 4a 2r 8p while parcel 791 measured 7a 1r 0p.

For other tenant farmers, see Aldon Farm.

The three parcels of Gage Hill were bordered on the north by Braggchurch (Parcel 779) and Under Gage Hill (Parcel 788), to the east by Plantation 3 (Parcel 807) and Home Field (Parcel 805), to the south by the entrance driveway to Aldon and to the west by German's Grove (Parcel 792).

Today, the former Gage Hill forms part of the parkland surrounding Aldon House.

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.



This map, based on the descriptions in the 1589 Terrier and the 1846 Tithe Map of Yeovil shows the approximate boundaries of the Manors of Kingston and Hendford as well as the manorial three-field system used in Kingston.


The 1842 Tithe Map showing the Aldon area and the parcels of Aldon Farm shaded light green. The three parcels of Gage Hill are left of centre..