Great Rough Mead

Great Rough Mead

A field on the bank of the River Yeo


Great Rough Mead (Parcel 831), was a field on the bank of the River Yeo.

At the time of the 1846 Tithe Apportionment, Great Rough Mead was owned by George Harbin and let to William Pope as part of Newton Farm. It was recorded as pasture for grazing livestock and measured 6a 1r 2p.

Great Rough Mead (Parcel 831) was bordered to the west and northwest by Horse Leaze (Parcel 830), on the northeast by Little Rough Mead (Parcel 832) and on the southeast and south by the River Yeo.

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.



This map, based on the descriptions in the 1589 Terrier and the 1846 Tithe Map of Yeovil shows the approximate boundaries of the Manors of Kingston and Hendford as well as the manorial three-field system used in Kingston.


The 1842 Tithe Map showing the Newton Surmaville Estate shaded mid-green and the parcels of Newton Farm shaded light green. Great Rough Mead (Parcel 831) is at bottom right.