Little Rough Mead

Little Rough Mead

A field on the bank of the River Yeo


Little Rough Mead (Parcel 832), was a field on the bank of the River Yeo.

At the time of the 1846 Tithe Apportionment, Little Rough Mead was owned by George Harbin and let to William Pope as part of Newton Farm. It was recorded as meadow for producing hay and measured 5a 0r 0p.

Little Rough Mead (Parcel 832) was bordered to the east and southeast by the River Yeo, to the southwest by Great Rough Mead (Parcel 831), to the west by Horse Leaze (Parcel 830) and Ten Acres (Parcel 833) and to the north by Pond Close (Parcel 834).

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.



This map, based on the descriptions in the 1589 Terrier and the 1846 Tithe Map of Yeovil shows the approximate boundaries of the Manors of Kingston and Hendford as well as the manorial three-field system used in Kingston.


The 1842 Tithe Map showing the Newton Surmaville Estate shaded mid-green and the parcels of Newton Farm shaded light green. Little Rough Mead (Parcel 832) is at centre far right.