Home Mead

Home Mead

A field of Pear Tree Farm in Yeovil Marsh


Home Mead (Parcel 1129), was a field of Pear Tree Farm in Yeovil Marsh.

The 1846 Tithe Apportionment recorded that Home Mead was owned by Reverend John Jenkins Mathews and let to James Pope. Mathews owned several more parcels in the area and Pope farmed them all. Home Mead was used as meadow for growing hay and measured 3a 1r 10p.

George Abbott (1816-1858) was recorded in the 1851 census as the tenant farmer. He died in 1858, and in 1861 his widow Mary Ann was recorded as the "farmeress" of Pear Tree Farm.

Pear Tree Farm, including Home Mead, was sold in 1889 to Mr T Moore, of Yeovil, the son of Yeovil solicitor Thomas Moore. The tenant at this time was George Cole. However, in January 1893 he retired. The following tenant was J Rowsell and his wife Martha. In 1908 the tenant farmer was a Mr Mead.

Home Mead (Parcel 1129), containing the Pear Tree Farm farmhouse, was bounded on the north by the access lane to Pear Tree Farm (now extended eastwards, to join Stone Lane). To the east it was bounded by Pear Tree Plot (Parcel 1130) and Higher Pear Tree Close (Parcel 1134), to the south by Hanging Orchard (Parcel 1121) and to the west by Lower Mead (Parcel 1123) and Orchard (1) (Parcel 1128).


For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.



Each farm has (or will have) its own page - click here.
Each Parcel of land has (or will have) its own page - click here.