Pear Tree Plot

Pear Tree Plot

A field of Pear Tree Farm in Yeovil Marsh


Pear Tree Plot (Parcel 1130), was a small, one-acre field of Pear Tree Farm in Yeovil Marsh.

The 1846 Tithe Apportionment recorded that Pear Tree Plot was owned by Reverend John Jenkins Mathews and let to James Pope. Mathews owned several more parcels in the area and Pope farmed them all. Pear Tree Plot was recorded as pasture for grazing livestock and measured 1a 0r 0p.

George Abbott (1816-1858) was recorded in the 1851 census as the tenant farmer. He died in 1858, and in 1861 his widow Mary Ann was recorded as the "farmeress" of Pear Tree Farm.

Pear Tree Farm, including Pear Tree Plot, was sold in 1889 to Mr T Moore, of Yeovil, the son of Yeovil solicitor Thomas Moore. The tenant at this time was George Cole. However, in January 1893 he retired. The following tenant was J Rowsell and his wife Martha. In 1908 the tenant farmer was a Mr Mead.

Pear Tree Plot (Parcel 1130) was bounded on the north by the access lane to Pear Tree Farm (now extended eastwards, to join Stone Lane). To the east it was bounded by Mead (Parcel 1133), to the south by Higher Pear Tree Close (Parcel 1132) and to the west by Home Mead (Parcel 1129).


For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.



Each farm has (or will have) its own page - click here.
Each Parcel of land has (or will have) its own page - click here.