Lower Loydes

Lower Loydes

A field within the great manorial East Field


Lower Loydes (Parcel 931) was originally part of the great Medieval East Field of Kingston Manor.

The 1846 Tithe Apportionment noted that Lower Loydes was in the ownership of glove manufacturer and banker Henry Penny and let to James Tucker of Long Croft Farm. The Tithe Apportionment shows Lower Loydes was used as arable, for growing crops, and measured 9a 1r 26p.

Lower Loydes (Parcel 931) was bounded on the west by Furzey Close (Parcel 933) and Buckler's Mead (Parcel 932), and to the north by Daniell's Close (Parcel 934). On the east and south it was bounded by Lyde Gurl.

By the time of the 1946 aerial photograph, seen below, Lower Loydes remained as a large open field. The former Lower Loydes is now occupied by the houses and gardens of Rivers Road and the northern part of Birchfield Road.

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.



This map, based on the descriptions in the 1589 Terrier and the 1846 Tithe Map of Yeovil shows the approximate boundaries of the Manors of Kingston and Hendford as well as the manorial three-field system used in Kingston.


A map of the great Medieval East Field of Kingston Manor showing conjectured locations of several fields based on descriptions in the 1589 Terrier.


Drawn from the 1846 Tithe Map with field names added from the 1846 Tithe Apportionment, with Lower Loydes (Parcel 931) at the lower right.


The 1946 aerial survey photograph with parcel numbers of 1846 plotted on.


An aerial view (courtesy of Mr Google) of the area today.


The 1843 Tithe Map overlaid onto a modern map of the area.