Buckler's Mead

Buckler's Mead

A field within the great manorial East Field


Buckler's Mead (Parcel 932) was originally part of the great Medieval East Field of Kingston Manor.

A deed of 1763 for the land refers to William Buckler and a deed of 1792 describes it as a close of land belonging to Benjamin Buckler.

The 1846 Tithe Apportionment noted that Buckler's Mead was in the ownership of Ann Collins and let to James Marten. The Tithe Apportionment shows Buckler's Mead was used as meadow for growing hay, and measured 6a 2r 10p.

Buckler's Mead (Parcel 932) was bounded on the north by Furzey Close (Parcel 933), to the east by Lower Loydes (Parcel 931), to the south by Higher Loydes (Parcel 950) and on the west by Spring Close (Parcel 947).

By the time of the 1946 aerial photograph, seen below, Buckler's Mead remained as a large open field. The former Buckler's Mead is now occupied by the houses and gardens of the southern half of Bucklers Mead Road and the southern end of St Mary's Crescent.

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.



This map, based on the descriptions in the 1589 Terrier and the 1846 Tithe Map of Yeovil shows the approximate boundaries of the Manors of Kingston and Hendford as well as the manorial three-field system used in Kingston.


A map of the great Medieval East Field of Kingston Manor showing conjectured locations of several fields based on descriptions in the 1589 Terrier.


Drawn from the 1846 Tithe Map with field names added from the 1846 Tithe Apportionment, with Buckler's Mead (Parcel 932) at the lower right.


The 1946 aerial survey photograph with parcel numbers of 1846 plotted on.


An aerial view (courtesy of Mr Google) of the area today.


The 1843 Tithe Map overlaid onto a modern map of the area.