Lower Sleight

Lower Sleight

A field of Longcroft Farm


Lower Sleight (Parcel 1106) was a large field of Longcroft Farm, between Combe Street Lane and Yeovil Marsh.

In 1816 Longcroft Farm, including Lower Sleight, was let to Henry Guppy, known as Harry. However, in April 1816, Harry was being held as a 'Prisoner for Debt' in the King's Bench Prison, Surrey, awaiting his case to be heard at the Guildhall, Westminster during the following month.

The 1846 Tithe Apportionment recorded that Lower Sleight was owned by Lord of Kingston Manor, William Jones Prowse, who had inherited huge land holdings in the area. The farm, at this time, was let to James Tucker. Lower Sleight was described as pasture for grazing livestock and measured 10a 2r 0p.

During the 1860s, a Mr Sawtell was the tenant farmer. During the 1870s Robert Chard farmed Longcroft Farm, and during this period the farm was afflicted with a foot & mouth disease outbreak. In June 1879, Chard was declared a bankrupt. The next tenant farmer was William Hardy. By January 1908 Hardy had died and was followed, certainly between 1910 and 1921, by Herbert James Pearce. During the early 1920s Longcroft Farm, including Lower Sleight, went through a series of auction sales and sales by private treaty.

Lower Sleight (Parcel 1106) was bounded to the east by Preston Plucknett parish (detached), to the south by Higher Sleight (Parcel 1105), to the west by Plantation (Parcel 1104) and Smoke Acre Orchard (Parcel 1113) and to the north by Long Croft Coppice (Parcel 1110), Longcroft farmhouse and orchard (Parcel 1109) and Higher Plaines (Parcel 1108).


For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.



Each farm has (or will have) its own page - click here.
Each Parcel of land has (or will have) its own page - click here.