Mow Barton

Mow Barton

A field within the Manor of Hendford


Mow Barton (Parcel 800) was originally within the Manor of Hendford and has been, for generations, part of Aldon Farm. The name Aldon was known before Aldon house was built since Watt's map of 1806 shows a footpath "To Aldon Farm, etc."

The term 'barton', in the context of the 1846 1846 Tithe Apportionment, is as given in F T Elworthy's 'West Somerset Word Book' of 1886; "That part of the farm premises which is specially enclosed for cattle." Elworthy also noted "The enclosure for corn and haystacks is called the Mow Barton".

At the time of the Tithe Apportionment, Mow Barton (Parcel 800) was owned by John Batten Snr and was let to John Brook. It was recorded as arable for growing crops and measured 0a 1r 16p. For other tenant farmers, see Aldon Farm.

Mow Barton (Parcel 800) was bordered on the north and east by the Aldon entrance drive and to the south and west by Barton Ground (Parcel 799).

Today, the former Mow Barton forms part of the parkland surrounding Aldon House.

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.



This map, based on the descriptions in the 1589 Terrier and the 1846 Tithe Map of Yeovil shows the approximate boundaries of the Manors of Kingston and Hendford as well as the manorial three-field system used in Kingston.


The 1842 Tithe Map showing the Aldon area and the parcels of Aldon Farm shaded light green. Mow Barton (Parcel 800) is at lower centre.