Barton Ground

Barton Ground

A field within the Manor of Hendford


Barton Ground (Parcel 799) was originally within the Manor of Hendford and has been, for generations, part of Aldon Farm. The name Aldon was known before Aldon house was built since Watt's map of 1806 shows a footpath "To Aldon Farm, etc."

The term 'barton', in the context of the 1846 1846 Tithe Apportionment, is as given in F T Elworthy's 'West Somerset Word Book' of 1886; "That part of the farm premises which is specially enclosed for cattle."

At the time of the Tithe Apportionment, Aldon Orchard was owned by John Batten Snr and was let to John Brook. Its use and area measurement were not recorded in the copy of the Apportionment held at Taunton Heritage Centre. For other tenant farmers, see Aldon Farm.

Barton Ground (Parcel 799) was bordered on the north by the Aldon entrance drive and Mow Barton (Parcel 800), to the east by Home Close (Parcel 803), to the south by Aldon Orchard (Parcel 801) and to the west by Symond's Ground (Parcel 796).

Today, the former Barton Ground forms part of the parkland surrounding Aldon House.

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.



This map, based on the descriptions in the 1589 Terrier and the 1846 Tithe Map of Yeovil shows the approximate boundaries of the Manors of Kingston and Hendford as well as the manorial three-field system used in Kingston.


The 1842 Tithe Map showing the Aldon area and the parcels of Aldon Farm shaded light green. Barton Ground (Parcel 799) is at lower centre.