New Pond

New Pond

A field within the Manor of Hendford


New Pond (Parcel 784) was originally a large seven-acre field within the Manor of Hendford and has been, for generations, part of Aldon Farm. The name Aldon was known before Aldon house was built since Watt's map of 1806 shows a footpath "To Aldon Farm, etc."

At the time of the 1846 Tithe Apportionment, New Pond was owned by John Batten Snr and let to John Brook. It was recorded as a meadow for growing hay and measured 7a 1r 6p. For other tenant farmers, see Aldon Farm.

New Pond was developed as part of the ornamental park for the Aldon estate during the early nineteenth century (although its ownership was brought into question - see Yeovil Charities Scandal) and the former field became the large Ninesprings lake at the bottom end of the Ninesprings valley. Until the middle of the twentieth century the public only had access by ticket obtainable from the owner, Colonel HB Batten, the Town Clerk.

New Pond (Parcel 784) was bordered on the north by Dodham Brook, to the east by the Ninesprings Stream, on the south by Plantation 3 (Parcel 807) and Mill Close (Parcel 808), and to the west by Penny's Mead (Parcel 783) and Orchard (Parcel 785).

Today, New Pond is occupied by the main lake of Ninesprings. It forms a part of the Yeovil Country Park.

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.



This map, based on the descriptions in the 1589 Terrier and the 1846 Tithe Map of Yeovil shows the approximate boundaries of the Manors of Kingston and Hendford as well as the manorial three-field system used in Kingston.


The 1842 Tithe Map showing the Aldon area and the parcels of Aldon Farm shaded light green. New Pond (Parcel 784) is at the top right.




The former New Pond (Parcel 784) is now occupied by the main lake at Ninesprings.