Symond's Ground

Symond's Ground

A field within the Manor of Hendford


Symond's Ground (Parcels 798 and 797) was originally a single large thirteen-acre field within the Manor of Hendford and has been, for generations, part of Aldon Farm. The name Aldon was known before Aldon house was built since Watt's map of 1806 shows a footpath "To Aldon Farm, etc."

At the time of the 1846 Tithe Apportionment, Symond's Ground had been split into two parcels, both owned by John Batten Snr and let to John Brook. Both parcels were recorded as arable for growing crops. Parcel 797 measured 6a 3r 10p and Parcel 798 measured 6a 3r 19p. For other tenant farmers, see Aldon Farm.

Symond's Ground (Parcels 798 and 797) was bordered on the south by the parish of Barwick, on the west by Dorchester Road, on the north by the Aldon farm access drive and to the east by Barton Ground (Parcel 799).

Today, Symond's Ground is the large open field running east from the Dorchester Road and lying south of Aldon House.

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.



This map, based on the descriptions in the 1589 Terrier and the 1846 Tithe Map of Yeovil shows the approximate boundaries of the Manors of Kingston and Hendford as well as the manorial three-field system used in Kingston.


The 1842 Tithe Map showing the Aldon area and the parcels of Aldon Farm shaded light green. New Pond (Parcel 784) is at the top right.




The Aldon parklands seen from close to Aldon Lodge. Aldon lies beyond the trees left of centre. Photographed in 2013. In 1846 this verdant field was an arable field called Symonds Ground.