The Four Acres

The Four Acres

Part of Donn's Farm, later Broadmead Farm, in Yeovil Marsh


The Four Acres (Parcel 1190) was a part of Donn's Farm, later called Broadmead Farm, in Yeovil Marsh.

The 1846 Tithe Apportionment recorded that The Four Acres was owned by Robert Donn of Stoke sub Hamdon and the tenant was Thomas Dauncey. It was recorded as arable for growing crops and measured 3a 1r 25p. The disparity between size and name is probably due to the use of 'Statute' measurements in the Apportionment which were actually smaller than the earlier local 'Customary' measurements.

The Four Acres (Parcel 1190) was bounded on the east by the access track to Donn's Farm (the continuation of Marsh Lane), on the south by Home Close (Parcel 1191), to the west by Four Acres (2) (Parcel 1189) and to the north by part of Greenmoor.

At the time of the 1919 sale of the six Marsh farms, Donn's Farm had been renamed Broadmead Farm. At this time The Four Acres had been combined with a very small part of Greenmoor and was now used as pasture for grazing livestock. The new combined field of The Four Acres and small part of Greenmoor was recorded as 5a 2r 1p.

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.