Aldon Orchard

Aldon Orchard

A field within the Manor of Hendford


Aldon Orchard (Parcel 801) was originally within the Manor of Hendford and has been, for generations, part of Aldon Farm. The name Aldon was known before Aldon house was built since Watt's map of 1806 shows a footpath "To Aldon Farm, etc."

At the time of the 1846 Tithe Apportionment Aldon Orchard was owned by John Batten Snr and was let to John Brook. It was, as its name would suggest, an orchard and measured 1a 0r 35p. For other tenant farmers, see Aldon Farm.

Aldon Orchard (Parcel 801) was bounded on the north by Home Close (Parcel 803) and a spur of Plantation 3 (Parcel 807). To the east it was bounded by Mill Close (Parcel 808), to the south by Plantation 2 (Parcel 802) and to the west by Barton Ground (Parcel 799).

Today Aldon Orchard is a part of the main valley known locally as Ninesprings. Now a managed mixed woodland, it forms a part of the Yeovil Country Park.

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.



This map, based on the descriptions in the 1589 Terrier and the 1846 Tithe Map of Yeovil shows the approximate boundaries of the Manors of Kingston and Hendford as well as the manorial three-field system used in Kingston.


The 1842 Tithe Map showing the Aldon area and the parcels of Aldon Farm shaded light green. Aldon Orchard (Parcel 802) is in the lower right quadrant.