Home Close

Home Close

A field within the Manor of Hendford


Home Close (Parcel 803) was originally a large field within the Manor of Hendford and has been, for generations, part of Aldon Farm. As the name Home Close suggests, the field lay immediately next to the farmhouse. The name Aldon was known before Aldon house was built since Watt's map of 1806 shows a footpath "To Aldon Farm, etc."

Aldon Farm house and outbuildings was, essentially, carved out of the western corner of Home Close. Later, Aldon House itself would be built in the southwestern half of Home Close.

By the time of the 1846 Tithe Apportionment, Home Close was owned by John Batten Snr and let to John Brook. It was recorded as pasture for grazing livestock and measured 11a 1r 10p. For other tenant farmers, see Aldon Farm..

Home Close (Parcel 803) was bordered on the north by Footpath Field (Parcel 806), on the east by Plantation 3 (Parcel 807), to the south by Aldon Orchard (Parcel 801) and to the west by Barton Ground (Parcel 799).

Today, the former Home Close forms part of the parkland surrounding Aldon House.

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.



This map, based on the descriptions in the 1589 Terrier and the 1846 Tithe Map of Yeovil shows the approximate boundaries of the Manors of Kingston and Hendford as well as the manorial three-field system used in Kingston.


The 1842 Tithe Map showing the Aldon area and the parcels of Aldon Farm shaded light green. Home Close (Parcel 803) is right of centre.