Brick mead

Brick Mead

A field of the Newton Surmaville Estate


Brick Mead (Parcel 845), was a field forming part of the Newton Surmaville Estate that was not leased out as Newton Farm.

At the time of the 1846 Tithe Apportionment, Brick Mead was owned and occupied by George Harbin. It was recorded as meadow for creating hay and measured 5a 0r 26p.

Brick Mead (Parcel 845) was bordered on the north by the River Yeo, on the west by Newton Surmaville House (Parcel 847) and Home Orchard 2 (Parcel 46), to the south by Orchard Below the House (Parcel 844) and to the south and east by House Mead (Parcel 835).

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.



This map, based on the descriptions in the 1589 Terrier and the 1846 Tithe Map of Yeovil shows the approximate boundaries of the Manors of Kingston and Hendford as well as the manorial three-field system used in Kingston.


ThThe 1842 Tithe Map showing the Newton Surmaville Estate shaded mid-green and the parcels of Newton Farm shaded light green. Brick Mead (Parcel 845) is at top, right of centre.