Orc hard below the house

Orchard below the house

One of several orchards in Newton Farm


Orchard Below the House (Parcel 844), was a small orchard forming part of Newton Farm.

At the time of the 1846 Tithe Apportionment, Orchard Below the House was owned by George Harbin and let to William Pope as part of Newton Farm. It was recorded as an orchard and it measured 2a 2r 10p.

Orchard Below the House (Parcel 844) was bordered on the north by Brick Mead (Parcel 845), on the east by House Mead (Parcel 835), to the south by Home Orchard 1 (parcel 842) and The Orchard (Parcel 841). To the west it was bounded by Home Orchard 2 (Parcel 846).

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.



This map, based on the descriptions in the 1589 Terrier and the 1846 Tithe Map of Yeovil shows the approximate boundaries of the Manors of Kingston and Hendford as well as the manorial three-field system used in Kingston.


TThe 1842 Tithe Map showing the Newton Surmaville Estate shaded mid-green and the parcels of Newton Farm shaded light green. Orchard Below the House (Parcel 844) is at the centre.