House Mead

House Mead

A meadow in Newton Farm


House Mead (Parcel 835), was a field adjoining Newton Farmhouse.

At the time of the 1846 Tithe Apportionment, House Mead was owned by George Harbin and let to William Pope as part of Newton Farm. It was recorded as meadow for producing hay and measured 9a 0r 16p.

House Mead (Parcel 835) was bordered on the north by Brick Mead (Parcel 845) and the River Yeo, on the east by Pond Close (Parcel 834), to the south by Cowleaze (Parcel 837) and Withey Bed (Parcel 836) and to the west by Orchard Below the House (Parcel 844).

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.



This map, based on the descriptions in the 1589 Terrier and the 1846 Tithe Map of Yeovil shows the approximate boundaries of the Manors of Kingston and Hendford as well as the manorial three-field system used in Kingston.


The 1842 Tithe Map showing the Newton Surmaville Estate shaded mid-green and the parcels of Newton Farm shaded light green. House Mead (Parcel 835) is right of centre.