Spring Close

Spring Close

A field within the great manorial East Field


Spring Close (Parcel 947), was originally a field in the great Medieval East Field of Kingston Manor.

The 1846 Tithe Apportionment noted that Spring Close (Parcel 947) was in the ownership of Ann Collins and let to James Marten. The Tithe Apportionment shows Spring Close was used as pasture for grazing livestock. It measured 6a 0r 0p.

Spring Close (Parcel 947) was bounded on the north by Briseham Hill (Parcel 946), on the east by Furzey Close (Parcel 933) and Buckler's Mead (Parcel 932) and on the south by Higher Loydes (Parcel 950). To the west it was bounded by Long Close (Parcel 945), Old Brickyard (Parcel 948) and Cribhouse Ground (Parcel 949).

By the time of the 1946 aerial photograph, seen below, Spring Close was a small open field. Its location now forms the Bucklers Mead School sports field.

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.



This map, based on the descriptions in the 1589 Terrier and the 1846 Tithe Map of Yeovil shows the approximate boundaries of the Manors of Kingston and Hendford as well as the manorial three-field system used in Kingston.


A map of the great Medieval East Field of Kingston Manor showing conjectured locations of several fields based on descriptions in the 1589 Terrier.


Drawn from the 1846 Tithe Map with field names added from the 1846 Tithe Apportionment, with Spring Close (Parcel 947) towards centre bottom.


The 1946 aerial survey photograph with parcel numbers of 1846 plotted on.


An aerial view (courtesy of Mr Google) of the area today.


The 1843 Tithe Map overlaid onto a modern map of the area.