Hartwell's Farm / Lambert's Farm / Poplars Farm, Yeovil Marsh


The 1589 Terrier described Foxyleaze "in Mr Williams' Estate twenty-four acres of pasture". It was part of Hartwell's Farm and would later be split into Foxey (Parcel 1209), Lower Foxey (Parcel 1210) and Higher Foxey (Parcel 1211).

Later, Foxey (Parcel 1209) was a field of Lambert's Farm (later still called Poplars Farm) in Yeovil Marsh. The name 'Foxey' simply meant area populated by foxes.

At the time of the 1846 Tithe Apportionment, Foxey was owned by John James Lambert and the occupier was William Dibble. Foxey was recorded as arable for growing crops and measured 6a 0r 0p.

Foxey (Parcel 1209) was bounded on the north by a small stream, to the east by Water Mead (2) (Parcel 1188) and Four Acres (1) (Parcel 1187), to the south by Higher Foxey (Parcel 1211) and to the west by Lower Foxey (Parcel 1210).

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.



At the time of the 1919 sale of the six Marsh farms, Lower Carent's Farm is shown in pink and Lambert's Farm is shown in green.