Higher Foxey

Higher Foxey

Hartwell's Farm / Lambert's Farm / Poplars Farm, Yeovil Marsh


The 1589 Terrier described Foxyleaze "in Mr Williams' Estate twenty-four acres of pasture". It was part of Hartwell's Farm and would later be split into Foxey (Parcel 1209), Lower Foxey (Parcel 1210) and Higher Foxey (Parcel 1211).

Later, Higher Foxey (Parcel 1211) was a field of Lambert's Farm (later still called Poplars Farm) in Yeovil Marsh. The name 'Foxey' simply meant area populated by foxes.

At the time of the 1846 Tithe Apportionment, Higher Foxey was owned by John James Lambert and the occupier was William Dibble. Higher Foxey was recorded as pasture for grazing livestock and measured 11a 0r 20p.

Higher Foxey (Parcel 1211) was bounded on the north by Foxey (Parcel 1209) and Lower Foxey (Parcel 1210), to the east by Flood Hatch (Parcel 1208) to the south by Cowleaze (Parcel 1212) and Lower Haine's (Parcel 1213) and to the west by Summerleaze (Parcel 1230).

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.



At the time of the 1919 sale of the six Marsh farms, Lower Carent's Farm is shown in pink and Lambert's Farm is shown in green.