Lower Foxey

Lower Foxey

Lambert's Farm / Poplars Farm, Yeovil Marsh


The 1589 Terrier described Foxyleaze "in Mr Williams' Estate twenty-four acres of pasture". It was part of Hartwell's Farm and would later be split into Foxey (Parcel 1209), Lower Foxey (Parcel 1210) and Higher Foxey (Parcel 1211).

Later, Lower Foxey (Parcel 1210) was a field of Lambert's Farm (later still called Poplars Farm) in Yeovil Marsh. The name 'Foxey' simply meant area populated by foxes.

At the time of the 1846 Tithe Apportionment, Lower Foxey was owned by John James Lambert and the occupier was William Dibble. Lower Foxey was recorded as meadow for growing hay and measured 4a 3r 30p.

Lower Foxey (Parcel 1210) was bounded on the north by Water Mead (Parcel 1184), to the east Foxey (Parcel 1209), to the south by Higher Foxey (Parcel 1211) and to the west by Lower Mead (Parcel 1231).

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.



At the time of the 1919 sale of the six Marsh farms, Lower Carent's Farm is shown in pink and Lambert's Farm is shown in green.