Hollow Ground

Hollow Ground

A field of Marsh Hill Farm


Hollow Ground (Parcel 1115) was a field of Marsh Hill Farm (today's Smoke Acre Farm), Yeovil Marsh.

The 1846 Tithe Apportionment recorded that Hollow Ground was owned by Yeovil solicitor William Lambert White and let to James Pope. Pope also farmed the adjoining Pear Tree Farm. Hollow Ground was described as pasture for grazing livestock and measured 7a 2r 0p.

In August 1884 Marsh Hill Farm, including Hollow Ground, was sold to a Mr Legg. The new tenant was John Trent - who quit the farm in November 1885. The following tenant farmer was a Mr Mead, followed by John Pearce in the latter part of the 1890s and in to the 1900s. During the early 1920s, Marsh Hill Farm was farmed by Mr F R Rendell, who quit the farm in December 1928.

Hollow Ground (Parcel 1115) was bounded on the south by Summerleaze (Parcel 1114), to the west by Marsh Lane, to the north by Grove Field (Parcel 1124) and to the east by Washing Pool Ground (Parcel 1116).


For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.


Map & Aerial Photograph

Today's Smoke Acre Farm, the earlier Marsh Hill Farm, courtesy of Mr Google.


Each farm has (or will have) its own page - click here.
Each Parcel of land has (or will have) its own page - click here.