Pear Tree Close

Pear Tree Close

A field of Pear Tree Farm in Yeovil Marsh


Pear Tree Close (Parcel 1134), was a field of Pear Tree Farm in Yeovil Marsh.

The 1846 Tithe Apportionment recorded that Pear Tree Close was owned by Reverend John Jenkins Mathews and let to James Pope. Mathews owned several more parcels in the area and Pope farmed them all. Pear Tree Close was recorded as pasture for grazing livestock and measured 9a 3r 10p.

George Abbott (1816-1858) was recorded in the 1851 census as the tenant farmer. He died in 1858, and in 1861 his widow Mary Ann was recorded as the "farmeress" of Pear Tree Farm.

Pear Tree Farm, including Pear Tree Close, was sold in 1889 to Mr T Moore, of Yeovil, the son of Yeovil solicitor Thomas Moore. The tenant at this time was George Cole. However, in January 1893 he retired. The following tenant was J Rowsell and his wife Martha. In 1908 the tenant farmer was a Mr Mead.

Pear Tree Close (Parcel 1134) was bounded on the east by the parish of Preston Plucknett (detached), to the south by Mead (Parcel 1133) and Pear Tree Plot (Parcel 1130), to the west by Orchard (2) (Parcel 1137) and Lower Pear Tree Close (Parcel 1136) and to the north by Clarke's Close (Parcel 1135).


For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.



Each farm has (or will have) its own page - click here.
Each Parcel of land has (or will have) its own page - click here.