Six Acres

Six Acres

A field atop Newton Hill


Six Acres (Parcel 821) was a field on the top of Newton Hill (although today we tend to call it Summerhouse Hill).

At the time of the 1846 Tithe Apportionment, Six Acres was owned by George Harbin and let to William Pope as part of Newton Farm. It was recorded as arable for growing crops and measured 5a 3r 36p.

Six Acres (Parcel 821) was bordered on the west by Fourteen Acres (Parcel 820), to the north  by Five Acres (Parcel 818), to the east by Newton Copse (Parcel 817) and to the south by Barwick parish and Swing Gate (Parcel 823)..

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.



This map, based on the descriptions in the 1589 Terrier and the 1846 Tithe Map of Yeovil shows the approximate boundaries of the Manors of Kingston and Hendford as well as the manorial three-field system used in Kingston.


The 1842 Tithe Map showing the Newton Surmaville Estate shaded mid-green and the parcels of Newton Farm shaded light green. Six Acres (Parcel 820) is at the centre left.