Tucker's Mead

Tucker's Mead

A field within the Manor of Hendford


Tucker's Mead (Parcel 787) was originally a field within the Manor of Hendford and was, for generations, part of Aldon Farm. The name Aldon was known before Aldon house was built since Watt's map of 1806 shows a footpath "To Aldon Farm, etc." The earliest reference to Tucker's Mead is from an indenture of 1779 in which it was referred to as Tucker's Hedge.

At the time of the 1846 Tithe Apportionment, Tucker's Mead was owned by John Batten Snr and let to John Brook. It was recorded as a meadow for growing hay and measured 3a 3r 0p. For other tenant farmers, see Aldon Farm.

Tucker's Mead (Parcel 787) was bordered on the north by Penny's Mead (Parcel 783), on the east by Orchard (Parcel 786), to the south by Plantation 3 (Parcel 807) and to the west by Nursery (Parcel 782) and Under Gage Hill (Parcel 788).

Today, the former Tucker's Mead is the hillside to the immediate south of Goldenstones Leisure Centre and forms a part of the Yeovil Country Park.

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.



This map, based on the descriptions in the 1589 Terrier and the 1846 Tithe Map of Yeovil shows the approximate boundaries of the Manors of Kingston and Hendford as well as the manorial three-field system used in Kingston.


The 1842 Tithe Map showing the Aldon area and the parcels of Aldon Farm shaded light green. New Pond (Parcel 784) is at the top right.